Egg Dum Biryani | Step by step procedure with pictures
Muttai / Egg dum biryani is a delicious main course recipe. A simple raita or any gravy tastes good with this biryani. This seems to be a quite lengthy process but the result, worth it.
We roast the boiled eggs with powdered spices and add it to the gravy followed by layering the cooked basmati rice. Check the step by step procedure below and enjoy this biryani during a leisure sunday.
Frying onions for biryani and cooking basmati rice is a basic procedure. I didn’t add step wise picture for these basic preparation. However you can check the link given below for more detailed procedure with pictures.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Raita of your choice, lemon slice and sliced onions.
- Serve with gravy of your choice, lemon slice and sliced onions.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2 Servings
For roasting egg :
- Boiled eggs (cut into halves)
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
For Biryani :
- 1 cup basmati rice cooked
- Fried onions – a hand ful
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Whole spices :
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Green cardamom – 3
- Black cardamom – 1
- Bay leaf – 1
- star anise – 1/2
- Cloves – 4
- Shahi jeera – 1/2 Tsp
- Onion – 1 (medium)
- Green chilli – 2 or 3
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Yogurt / curd – 1/2 cup
- Salt – as needed
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 Tsp
- Mint – a handful
- Coriander leaves – a handful
- Water – 3-4 Tbsp
- Saffron – a pinch
- Milk – 3 or 4 Tbsp
- Pepper powder (optional)
- Soak basmati rice for 30 min and cook it along with required water and spices. Filter it and set it aside.
- Boil the eggs. Peel the skin. Cut into halves.
- Slice onions and green chilli.
- Finely chop mint and coriander leaves.
- Add saffron to the warm milk. (For getting good color)
- Roasting Eggs : Heat oil in a pan medium heat. Add turmeric, chilli powder, cumin powder and salt. Saute for few seconds. Add the halved eggs. Roast it for about 2-3 min on both the sides. Turn off the heat.
- Remove the eggs. Add 3 Tbsp water in the pan and set it aside. (This step is optional)
- In a deep pan or pressure cooker or biryani vessel add oil over medium heat.
- Add in whole spices ( cinnamon, cardamom , bay leaf , cloves and star anise)
- Followed by shahi jeera. Saute for a minute or so.
- Add sliced onions and green chilli. Saute until onions become golden brown.
- Add in ginger garlic paste and cook until there is no raw smell.
- Whisk the curd and add it. Combine well.
- Add in salt , chilli powder and garam masala.
- Combine well and cook until oil oozing out on the top. Add in mint and coriander leaves. Add the water from egg roasted pan. (optional step)
- Stir everything well. Turn over the heat to low. Arrange the roasted eggs.
- Layering Rice : Spread half of the cooked rice. Sprinkle some of the saffron milk. Garnish with some coriander leaves and fried onion. Add pepper powder only if needed. Repeat the same with rest of the rice.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil sheet or a damp cloth(optional). Cover with a lid. Place the pan over a tawa/griddle over low heat for 25-30 min. Rest it for another 15 minutes before opening it.
- Open it and gently serve it.
- You can prefer any method for Dum process.
- You can split the gravy into two halves and pour it over the first layer of rice.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :