Fish Biryani | Video Recipe | Step by step procedure with pictures
Biryani is a Popular dish in Indian Cuisine and also very famous in South Asia. Biryani has lot of spices in it and can be prepare using vegetables or meat. Today, I am sharing an easy and scrumptious fish biryani recipe. I love to use Halibut fish for this recipe. You can try using other available fish(with no bone) variety also.
Always use heavy bottom pan for cooking Biryani. This biryani procedure is slightly different from my other biryani recipes. My college bestie shared this recipe with me. Please read all the steps before making this recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Fish – 1 lb
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Water – as needed
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Ghee – 1 Tbsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cinnamon – 2 inch pieces
- Cloves – 4
- Cardamom – 4
- Star anise – 1
- Onion – 2
- Tomato – 1
- Salt – as needed
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Garam Masala – 1 Tsp
- Yogurt / curd – 3 Tbsp
- Coriander leaves – for garnishing
- Curry leaves – for garnishing
For Paste :
- Green chili – 3
- Garlic – 10 cloves
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Mint – few leaves
For Marination :
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 Tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 Tbsp
- Oil – 1 Tbsp
- Wash the basmati rice and soak it for 30 minutes.
- Grind ginger , garlic , green chili and mint leaves with little water.
- Slice onion and tomato.
Fish Marination :
- Slice the fish into medium pieces. Clean and wash the fish pieces thoroughly.
- Drain water completely and add the pieces to bowl.
- Add turmeric , chili powder , salt , lemon juice and oil.
- Marinate and let it rest for 30 min.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan over medium heat.
- Add oil and ghee. Add in the whole spices (bay leaf , cinnamon , cardamon , cloves and star anise)
- Saute once and add sliced onions.
- Saute often until onion starts turning brown.
- Add the paste (ginger garlic mint chili). Saute until there is no raw smell of ginger garlic.
- Now, add sliced tomatoes and cover with a lid. Allow it to cook until soft and mushy.
- Add beaten yogurt(curd) and cook for few min.
- Add in turmeric , chili powder , garam masala and salt. Saute for 4 min.
- Spread the base masala evenly on the pan. Do not combine the base after this step.
- Arrange the marinated fish. Evenly spread the soaked rice over the fish.
- Now add 1.5 cups of water.(Add more or less water as needed. Generally we need 2 cups of water to cook 1 cup rice. We already have some moist in base masala and fish pieces will leave some water when cooking. So 1.5 cups of water should work perfect)
- Check for salt and cover the pan with a lid. (You can use chapati dough to seal the lid)
- Let it cook over medium heat for 7-10 min until rice gets half cooked. (Do not open the cover often. I opened it just to show how it should look)
- During this time, heat a tawa / pan(for Dum)
- Place the biryani pan over the hot tawa and allow it to sit for 15 min over low heat.
- After 15 min turn off the heat and add coriander and curry leaves.
- Cover and leave it for another 15-20 min. Then gently combine the biryani without breaking the fish pieces.
- Chop fish into medium size pieces else they will break easily while cooking.
- Use a pan with wide bottom so that all your fish pieces are able be sit in a single layer.
- If you do not have a tawa for making Dum, just cook it for 10 min over low heat and let it rest for 15-20 min after turning off the heat.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
For more video recipe subscribe to my Youtube channel. If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates Facebook Follow me on Pinterest , Twitter and Instagram
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :