Goat Liver Fry | Eeral varuval | Step by step procedure with pictures
Mutton eeral (Goat liver) is little high in fat content but it does have a lot of iron and protein content. So once in a while eating this is good, you know. Liver will get cooked soon when compared to regular mutton pieces. So you can directly cook it in the pan. But I am using pressure cooker and cook for less whistles. Previously I had posted a soup recipe using Mutton bone, which is my all time favorite and good for health too. Be sure you check that too.
Today I am sharing a varuval (fry) recipe. However you can make it as a varuval or you can prepare it as a gravy for Chapati / Dosa. Same recipe for both. The consistency makes the difference. I like to make it spicy. Make sure you add right amount of spice as per your taste.
Other Mutton / Goat recipes :
- Mutton Biryani using Coconut Milk
- Mutton Fry
- Mutton Chukka
- Mutton Biryani using Seeraga samba rice in pressure cooker
SERVING SUGGESTION :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Goat liver – 1/2 lb
- Oil – 3 Tbsp
- Onion – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Tomato – 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
- Curry leaves – few
- Green chilli – 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 Tbsp
- Salt and water – as needed
- Green chilli and curry leaves (optional) – for garnishing
Whole Spices :
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tsp
Spice Powders :
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 Tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 Tsp
- Clean and wash the goat liver thoroughly. Cut into desired size pieces.
- Finely chop onions and tomatoes. Slit green chilli.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Add in whole spices (Cinamon , cardamom, cloves and fennel seeds) and saute for few seconds until you get good aroma.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chilli and some curry leaves.
- Saute for few minutes until onion turns golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook until there is no raw smell.
- When they are done, add tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add liver pieces and combine well.
- Add in salt and spice powders (turmeric, red chilli, cumin and coriander powders).
- Combine well and saute for 4-5 min.
- Add required water (approximately 1 cup).
- Combine well and cook for 3-5 whistles or as needed. Do not overcook it.
- Open the cooker and simmer it until you get desired consistency. You can turn off the heat in any stage after this.
- Before turning off the heat, add some pepper powder and garnish with 1 green chilli and some curry leaves.
- You can skip tomato.
- Don’t skip fennel seeds. It helps to get rid of meat odor and helps in digestion also.
- If you are cooking in a pan instead of pressure cooker, make sure you chop it into small pieces.
- If you want gravy consistency add more water as needed. You can have it with chapati or dosa also.
- Do not over cook the liver, it may become rubbery.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :