Sakkaravalli Kizhangu Urundai | Sweet Potato Balls/Ladoo – Step by Step pictured procedure
Sakkaravalli Kizhangu (Seenikizhangu) Urundai is one of my favorite during school days. My mom always prefer healthy homemade snack for us and this is one of them. These are quite easy and yummy sweet balls. You need only 3 ingredients for this and others are optional.
My sweet potato is like carrot color but the one I used to get in India would be yellow like in color. I have added roasted gram powder which gives you a nutty taste while biting. Also it helps in holding the shape.
You could cook sweet potato by your comfortable method. You could Bake, Boil, Steam or even Microwave. Today I am using boiling method. Make sure you wash all the dirt in the potato skin before cooking.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- After school snack, Evening snack.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack , Dessert YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Sweet Potato / Sakkaravalli Kizhangu – 1
- Grated Coconut – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery – 1/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Ghee – 3/4 Tbsp (opt)
- Roasted Gram / Pottukadalai – 1/4 cup (opt)
- Water – as needed
- Wash the sweet potato well to get rid of the dirt.
- Grate the jaggery. Dilute it using very little warm water if needed and filter it.
- Coarsely grind the roasted gram.
- Add the sweet potato to boiling water. Cover and cook until soft and tender. A knife or a skewer inserted should go in smooth and reach the other side.
- Filter it and allow to cool down.
- In a pan or kadai, melt ghee and add grated coconut. Roast it for 2-3 min and turn of the heat(This step is optional). Do not make it completely dry.
- Peel the potato skin and mash it well using a masher.
- Combine mashed potato and roasted coconut. Add grated jaggery and cardamom powder.
- Mix well. Add roasted gram powder as needed. Combine everything together.
- Make small balls and serve it.
- You could skip roasting coconut and add it directly.
- My jaggery had no dirt or any impurites. If your jaggery have some just dilute it with little warm water and filter it before adding.
- Adding roasted gram powder adds a little nutty feel and also helps in holding the shape.
- Adjust jaggery and coconut quantity as you like.
- You can also add brown sugar or white sugar instead of jaggery.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :