SPINACH BIRYANI – Keerai Biryani
Do you need a quick, tasty and healthy lunch box recipe during busy mornings? This Spinach Biryani recipe will help you. Years ago, I read this recipe in a weekly magazine during train travel and I barely remember the recipe. I tried it once and it was amazing. I use to prepare this often nowadays. It has less spices when compared to our regular biryani and easy to prepare. It would be a good choice for kids lunch box.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Onion Raita or any raita of your choice.
- Serve with simple Gravy / Salan of your choice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2 Servings
- Spinach – 3 cups firmly packed
- Basmati rice – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 4
- Cloves – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion – 1 (medium)
- Tomato – 1 (small)
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Green chilli – 2
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Garam masala – 1/2 Tsp
- Mint – 1/4 cup chopped
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup chopped
- Salt – as needed
- Water – as needed
- Wash the spinach and finely chop it.
- Slice onion and tomato.
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chilli together.
- Finely chop mint and coriander leaves.
- Wash and soak Basmati rice in water for 30 min.
- Heat a pressure cooker over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add the whole spices. (cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaf)
- Saute for few seconds until you get good aroma.
- Add sliced onions and cook until golden brown. Add green chilli ginger garlic paste.
- Saute until there is no raw smell. Add mint and coriander leaves and saute for a min.
- Add sliced tomatoes and cook until soft.Add chopped spinach and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric and garam masala. Give a good mix and allow it to cook for a min or so.
- Add 2 cups of water and scrap the edges. When it starts to boil add soaked rice and required salt.
- Combine everything well and close the pressure cooker. Cook for 2 whistles.
- When pressure is released open the pressure cooker and give a good mix from the bottom of the pan.
- Serve hot with raita or gravy of your choice.
- You could prepare the spinach masala and add cooked rice to it instead of pressure cooking it.
- You can cook in a pan. If so, cook until rice gets completely cooked and non-sticky.
- You could use any greens for this recipe.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :