DRUMSTICK LEAVES SOUP – Murungai Keerai / Moringa leaves Soup
Drumstick leaves / Moringa leaves has plenty of health benefits. Moringa leaves are rich in antioxidants and has good source of magnesium, iron, calcium and copper. Drumstick leaves soup is an easy and tasty soup recipe. Drumstick leaves has slight bitterness in nature. Adding spices and tomatoes reduces the bitterness and makes it more delicious.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as soup before food.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Soup YIELD : 2 Servings
- Drumstick leaves – 2 handful
- Shallots / Baby onions – 3 or 4
- Tomato – 1/2
- Garlic – 4 or 5 cloves
- Black peppercorns – 1/2 Tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tbsp
- Coriander seeds – 1/2 Tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Clean the drumstick leaves. Small stems are fine.
- Wash and soak it in water for 5 min. Gently remove the floating leaves. By this way you can get rid of sand and impurities easily.
- In a pressure cooker, add drumstick leaves, tomato, shallots and 2 cups of water.
- Add cumin seeds, pepper and coriander seeds. Combine once.
- Pressure cook it for 5 whistles.
- When pressure is released open the cooker and filter the water.
- Reserve the leaves. Bring it to room temperature and grind it smooth along with required water. (You can use water or the soup that we filtered earlier)
- Filter it again. Press well using back of a laddle to extract all the juice. (Adding little water with the smooth paste before filtering makes it easy to filter). Discard the pulp.
- Add little salt to the soup and combine well.
- Reheat it before serving.
- Add pepper and salt if needed.
- You could add a Tbsp of toordal or yellow moong dal while pressure cooking drumstick leaves.
- Adjust the spices according to your taste.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :