CARROT HALWA – Gajar Ka Halwa
Carrot halwa is a delicious mouth watering dessert recipe. It is popularly known as Gajar ka Halwa and is made with carrots, milk and sugar. It can be served warm or cold. Both the way it tastes scrumptious. Adding khoya or mawa makes it more rich and also gives good texture to this Halwa.
I have posted many Indian Dessert recipes. This Carrot Halwa using khoya is one of my favourite. I have given the instructions to prepare khoya at home. But it takes much time and patience. But it worth the time. Also You can buy sweet less kova / readily available khoya in any grocery shop / sweet stall (Bakery) and use it.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve as dessert. Warm or cold.
- Also you can serve warm halwa with a scoop of Vanilla Ice cream.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : North Indian
COURSE : Dessert YIELD : 2 cups
- Milk – 4 cups (2 cups for making khoya + 2 cups for cooking carrot)
- Grated Carrot – 4 cups
- Sugar – 1 cup or less (according to your taste)
- Ghee – 3-4 Tbsp
- Cashews – 5 to 7
- Raisins – 10
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Khoya / Mawa preparation – Boil 2 cups of milk in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat. When it starts boiling stir it using a spatula. Stir it for every 2 minutes. You can notice milk starts to reduce in quantity. Scrap the edges well. Stir continuously. At one point you will get khoya when milk dried completely. Turn off the heat and transfer it to a bowl. Do not let it burn. This process will take app. 35 min for 2 cups of milk.
- Heat 2 Tbsp ghee in a heavy bottomed pan or non-stick pan. Roast cashews and raisins until raisins start to puff up. Filter the nuts and transfer to a plate.
- Add the grated coconut to the ghee. Saute for 3-4 min.
- Add 2 cups milk and combine well.
- Let it boil until most of the milk evaporates. Combine often. Scrap the edges. Approximately 25 min.
- Add khoya / sweet less kova to it. Combine well and cook for few more minutes until everything gets incorporated well.
- Add sugar. Cook for 5 more min or until the halwa comes all together from the edges of the pan.
- Add Cardamom powder and a Tbsp of ghee.
- Combine well and add fried nuts.
- Mix well and turn off the heat. Transfer to a bowl. Serve warm or refrigerate it and serve it cold.
- If you are not preparing khoya, You can add all 4 cups of milk directly to the carrot.
- If are using store bought khoya / sweetless kova use only 2 cups of milk. You should use 1/2 cup of store bought kova.
- Always use heavy bottomed or non-stick pan.
- Keep eyes on the pan all the time. Do not let it burn.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :