EGG GRAVY – Without Tomato
Egg gravy is a perfect South Indian side dish recipe for chapati, roti or even with Pulao. Usually for most of the gravy recipes we use tomato as a main ingredient to get the consistency and colour. But today I am sharing a gravy without using tomato. The colour and consistency of this recipe is much tempting and drooling. This gravy is rich and creamy.
I have already posted related Egg gravy recipe using onion and tomato. Today’s recipe is quite different from that since we are not using any tomato here. The consistency of this gravy is obtained by grinding nuts and fried onions. For tangy taste we are using curd/yogurt. With no other delay lets see the procedure for this recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- With Jeera pulao or any other pulao.
- With Chapati or any roti variety.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Egg – 3
- Oil – 4 Tbsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Green chilli – 3
- Whole Spices :
- Cinnamon – 2 inch
- Cloves – 4 or 5
- Green Cardamon – 3
- Black Cardamom -1
- Bay leaf – 2
- Spice Powders :
- Red Chilli powder – 1 Tsp
- Kashmiri Red chilli powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 Tsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Yogurt / Curd – 3-4 Tbsp
- Kasturi Methi – a pinch
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
For roasting Egg :
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Salt – as needed
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 Tsp
For grinding :
- Cashew nuts – 4 or 5
- Almonds – 5 or Groundnut – 10
- Poppy seeds – 2 Tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1 Tsp
- Onion – 1
- Add poppy seeds, fennel seeds, almonds and cashew nuts to a bowl. Add hot water and soak it for about 10 min. This helps in making a smooth paste.
- Add eggs to boiling water and cook for about 10 min. Cool down completely.
- Peel the skin and make 4 slits as shown below.
- Chop onions. Slit green chillies.
- Heat oil. Add the chopped onions. Saute until golden brown.
- Filter this and transfer to a plate. In the same oil add eggs.
- Season with turmeric, red chilli powder and salt. Roast for about 4 min.
- While egg is roasting grind the soaked ingredients and fried onions together into a smooth paste. Add required water. Our ground paste is ready.
- When eggs are done remove them from oil. Add whole spices(cinnamon, green cardamom, black cardamom, cloves, bay leaf).
- Saute for few seconds. Add ginger garlic paste and green chillies.
- Cook until there is no raw smell. Add the ground paste.
- Combine once. Add the spice powders (red chilli powder, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, Kashmiri red chilli powder)
- Mix well. Add salt and cook for 2 min.
- Add some kasturi methi. Beat the yogurt/curd and add it. Combine well.
- Add water if needed. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 10-15 min.
- You can see oil oozing out on the top. Combine once.
- Cut the eggs into halves and add it. Gently mix it and turn off the heat. No need to cook after adding the eggs. (You can also add whole eggs)
- You can prepare fried onions in advance to save time. Also you can use store bought fried/brown onions.
- After roasting the eggs if your oil is not good just dispose it and start making gravy in a fresh pan.
- Adding kashmiri red chilli powder gives good colour to this gravy. You can skip it.
- If you are a beginner in cooking, prepare fried onions and roast the eggs first. And then start making the gravy in a fresh pan.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :