Chettinad Baby Potato Fry
Chettiand Cuisine is famous down the south in India. The secret of their recipes are they use freshly ground spices for most of the cooking. It gives an amazing flavor to the food. I have already posted a quick Potato fry and Potato fry with onion and tomato. Today I am posting a simple chettinad baby potato recipe. I learnt this recipe from a cooking column of a weekly magazine. Tried this once and this became a regular recipe in my kitchen.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with any Rice variety as a side dish.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Side Course YIELD :1-2 Servings
- Sesame oil – 1.5 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Shallots / Baby onions – 8-10
- Curry leaves – 4 or 5
- Baby potatoes – 8-10
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Asafoetida / Hing (opt) – a pinch
For Grinding Spice Powder :
- Urad dal – 1.5 Tbsp
- Red chilli – 3
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Black pepper corns – 1/2 Tsp
- Dry roast all the given ingredients until they turn nice and aromatic.
- Cool down completely and grind into a fine powder.
- Boil potatoes with enough water in an open pan or pressure cook it for 1 whistle.
- Peel the skin and keep it ready.
- Chop onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai / pan.
- Add mustard seeds. Let it splutter. Add hing, onions and curry leaves.
- Saute until onions become soft.
- Cut the potatoes and add it. Add some salt and turmeric.
- Add the fresh spice powder and Combine well.
- Let it cook for about 5-7 min.
- Turn off the heat.
- If you don’t get baby onions you can use ordinary onions.
- You can use whole baby potatoes. I like to cut it into 2 halves.
- You can also try this recipe using regular potatoes.
- You can prepare the spice powder in advance so that you could save time. Also you can prepare more quantity and store this in your shelf for up to 2-3 months.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :