FISH KUZHAMBU – Tamarind Fish Curry / Meen Kuzhambu / South Indian Fish Curry
Meen kuzhambu is a famous South Indian Fish curry using tamarind. Always make sure you prepare this curry at least 2 hours before serving. The resting helps the fish to absorb the spices well. Any fish goes well for this recipe. I am using Red Snapper (Sangara / Shankara Fish). Adding fish head to this recipe makes it more delicious. Also if you have a mud pot for cooking make sure you use it for preparing this curry.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with hot rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Red Snapper / Sankara Meen / any fish – 1 lb or 1/2 kg
- Sesame / gingelly oil – 3 Tbsp
- Garlic – 6
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- Red chillies – 3
- Green chillies -3
- Baby onions / Shallots – 10 + 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1.5 Tbsp
- Tomato – 1 (large)
- Salt – as needed
- Tamarind – gooseberry size
- Coconut paste – 1/4 cup
- Coriander leaves – for garninshing
For Tempering :
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Fenugreek – 1/4 Tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 Tsp
- Black pepper corns – 1/2 Tsp
Spice Powders :
- Red chilli powder – 3/4 Tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1.5 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Clean the fish pieces well. Apply turmeric and salt and rub thoroughly.
- Let it rest for 5 min and then rinse it well. Keep it aside.
- Cut garlic, onions, tomatoes roughly. slit green chillies.
- Soak tamarind in Luke warm water for some time. Extract juice and remove pulp.
- Heat sesame oil in a kadai over medium heat.
- Temper with cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek and pepper.(Crush pepper)
- Add garlic, curry leaves, green chilli and red chilli.
- Saute for less than a min. Add onions
- Cook until they become soft. Add ginger garlic paste and tomatoes.
- Saute until there is no raw smell.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, salt and coriander powder. Combine well.
- Add tamarind extract. Combine well and cover the kadai with a lid.
- Cook until oil oozes out on the top. Add coconut paste and cook for 3 min.
- Add fish pieces. Crush 2 shallots and add it along with fish.
- Cook for 4 min and flip the fish pieces. Cook for another 4 min.
- Turn off the heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Adding crushed onions at the end gives unique flavor to the curry.
- Cooking time of the fish differs according to the size of the fish pieces.
- You can use any oil but sesame oil gives very good taste for this kuzhambu.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :