SAKKARAI PONGAL – Sweet Pongal
Sakkarai Pongal is a delicious sweet recipe made with rice, jaggery and moong dal. In most of the South Indain Hindu temples this sweet is served as a Prasadam / Neivedhiyam. I have already posted Ven Pongal recipe, which is a popular South Indian Breakfast. Pongal is often made during auspicious days and special occasions.
Today I am using pressure cooker to cook this pongal. You can cook using an open pot also. Adding milk to this recipe makes it more rich and yummy. I am not using milk in today’s recipe. If you like you can add equal amount of water and milk while cooking rice. Adding edible camphor (Pachai Karpooram) to this pongal makes it more scrumptious. Make sure you add very small pinch of it.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Sweet, Breakfast YIELD : 1-2 Servings
- Raw rice / Pacharisi – 1/2 cup
- Moong dal – 2-3 Tbsp
- Water – as needed
- Jaggery – 1/2 cup or more (grated)
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 Tsp
- Edible Camphor(Pachai Karpooram) – small pinch
- Ghee – 3-4 Tbsp
- Cashew Nuts – 5 or 6
- Raisins – 7-10
- Wash the rice twice and soak using enough water.
- Dry roast the moong dal until it starts to turn golden brown.
- Add this to the rice and let it sit for 30 min.
- In a pressure cooker add 2 to 2.5 cups of water. Add the rice and moong dal. Cook for 3 whistles.
- While it is cooking Melt jaggery with less water over low heat. No need of consitency. Just heat until it is completely done and filter the impurities.
- When pressure is released, open the cooker and mix it once.
- Add the jaggery water, combine well and cook over low heat.
- Add a small pinch of edible camphor(Pachai Karpooram) and cardamom powder.
- Mix well. Roast cashews and raisins in ghee.
- Add this to the pongal. Add more ghee if you like.
- Turn off the heat.
- Make sure you mix the cooked rice before adding jaggery water. Because rice will not easily mash after adding jaggery.
- Also you can add equal amount of milk and water while cooking rice. If you are adding milk you should use deeper vessel.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :