CHANA / CHICKPEA SUNDAL
Chickpea/Chana is a legume. This sundal recipe is quite simple and it is usually prepared during Navratri, Vinayagar chadhurthi and other festivals. This is a perfect healthy snack during any time of the day. If it is not for a festival day, you could add onions for this recipe.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 1-2 servings
- Chana/chickpea – 1/2 cup
- Water – as needed
- Salt – as needed
- Oil – 1/2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 Tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli – 1 or 2
- Curry leaves – 4 or 5
- Hing/Asafoetida – a pinch
- Grated coconut – 3-4 Tbsp
- Soak chana for 8 hours or overnight.
- Pressure cook chana for 6-8 whistles with enough water and little salt.
- Filter excess water.
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add oil.
- Add mustard seeds and urad dal.
- When urad dal become golden brown add red chilli and curry leaves.
- Saute once and add hing.
- Add cooked chana and combine well.
- Add freshly grated coconut and turn off the heat.
- Combine well and serve it.
- Chana should be soft and in shape after cooking it. It should not be in mashing consistency.
- If you are adding onions, add finely chopped onions after adding hing. Saute it well and then add chana.
- I have added enough salt while cooking chana. You can do so or you can add it while adding chana to the pan.
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :