CHANA KURMA – Sundal / kondai kadalai Kurma
Chana ( Chickpea / sundal / konda kadalai ) kurma is tasty curry prepared using coconut paste with other spices. This Kurma recipe can be served with cooked rice, Idly, Dosa, Chapati, poori and other roti varieties. According to your Main dish adjust the consistency of this kurma. If you are serving with chapati, poori or roti vairieties make it in gravy consistency. Today I am serving this with steamed white rice. So, I am preparing it little bit in running consistency.
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Serve with Rice or Chapati.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Main Course YIELD : 2-3 Servings
- Chana / Chickpea / Kondakadalai – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 Tbsp
- Onion – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 Tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 Tbsp or less
- Coriander powder – 1.5 Tbsp
- Water – as required
- Salt – as required
Whole spices :
- Cinnamon – 1 inch
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 4
- Bay leaf – 1
For Coconut Paste :
- Coconut – 3-4 Tbsp (grated)
- Fennel seeds – 3/4 Tsp
- Poppy seeds – 3/4 Tsp
- Soak Channa for 8-10 hours.
- Pressure cook chana with required water and little salt for 6-8 whistles.
- Chop onion and tomato.
- Grind coconut paste with given ingredients.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add whole spices.
- Saute once. (You will get good aroma of spices)
- Add onion and saute until translucent. Add ginger garlic paste.
- Saute until there is no raw smell. Add tomatoes and salt. (remember we have added salt while cooking chana)
- Cover with a lid and cook until tomatoes become soft.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric and coriander powder. Mix well.
- Add water from cooked chana. If needed add more water. (Remember while adding coconut paste the gravy with get thicken little)
- Cover with a lid and cook until the oil oozes out on the top.
- Add cooked chana and and combine well.
- Add coconut paste and let it cook for 3-5 min over low heat. (Do not cook the curry for long time after adding coconut)
Do try this recipe at home and let me know how it turned out for you. Share your comments down below in the comment section.
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :