MASALA KADALAI – Spicy Fried Peanut
Masala Peanut is a tasty and crunchy snack. During my childhood days, we had some street vendor selling these masala kadai and other snacks on the street at evening time. We use to wait for them and enjoy this snack. Nowadays, no such vendor exists. But no worries. It is very simple and easy to prepare Masala Kadai at home.
If you are looking for other tea time snack recipes check here. Tea Time Snack
SERVING SUGGESTION :
- Tea Time Snack, Snack box, Snacks for friends and also side dish for variety rice.
AUTHOR : Dimple CUISINE : South Indian
COURSE : Snack YIELD : 2-3 servings
- Raw or roasted peanuts – 1/2 cup
- Water – as needed
- Oil – for deep fry
For Coating Peanuts :
- Besan flour – 3 Tbsp
- Rice flour – 1 Tbsp
- Chilli powder – 1/2 Tsp
- Curry leaves powder(opt) – 1/2 Tsp
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Cumin seeds – 1 Tsp
- Asafoetida / Hing – 1 large pinch
- Salt – as needed
- turmeric – 1/4 Tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 string
- If you are using raw peanuts, roast peanuts in low-medium heat for 5 min or until completely roasted.
- Crush the garlic well along with skin.
- You can even crush cumin seeds a little bit(optional).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients given for coating peanuts.
- Add roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Sprinkle water little by little and mix well until peanut is coated with tight batter. See picture below. (Do not add more water) Mix with fingers.
- Heat oil in a pan/kadai over medium heat.
- When it is hot enough, drop the coated peanuts in batches and fry until brown. (Take a handful of coated peanuts and drop little by little – try to separate peanuts using finger tips while dropping)
- When they are done, filter it from oil and place it on a kitchen towel. Let it cool down completely.
- Store it in an air tight container.
- Instead of cumin seeds, you can use fennel seeds.
- I am using homemade curry leaves powder for good flavour. You can skip it.
If you found this post worthy, kindly share this with your friends and like my Facebook page for updates. https://www.facebook.com/Dimples-Cookbook-360014267724776/ Follow me on Twitter and Instagram @dimplescookbook
Step by Step Procedure with pictures :
Click here to know how to drop these coated peanuts in batches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NptNSRJg7TY